Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Day With the Dean.


I finally took Frank Pisciotta the "Dean of Truckee area Guides" as he would say for a little float through the miracle mile today. Uncle Frank has been fly fishing and guiding around the Truckee area since the last Ice Age. Frank really helped me out at the beginning of my own guiding career so I owe Frank a lot. He knows a shit ton about fly fishing, bugs, and all that good stuff, so you think the guy would know how to use a long handled boat net. I hooked a very nice Rainbow today, I'm sure which will be the biggest I hook all year. All Frank had to do was just swoop him in the net. I brought the fish over to the net three times for the swoop, three times! On the third try Frank rapped the leader around his body and the fish was gone. I couldn't believe it. We only hooked two fish, both quality fish, but fishing was tough because of high, lowering water. Frank did bring lunch and beer, and lot's of old fish stories.

8 comments:

Frank R. Pisciotta said...

Geez---I do feel bad about that one! No telling how long that will linger...I definitrly "..owe you one."

Hey thanks, I had a great time schmoozing with you on the river...hoping there is another invite in the future. And please get me a better pair of "over glasses" polarized glasses. I look like Mr. Google-Head

Here's an e-note reply to Brian Slusser's report to me of his previous day's report on fishing the river:

"Tuesday, Matt and I drifted what he calls the "Miracle Mile". As I mentioned on the phone I felt bad blowing a net-job for one of the largest Rainbows I've seen on the BT in awhile...guessing a minimum of 23"-24"…maybe 25”-27”…anyway at least 4 pounds to 7…essentially a small steelhead.

We too saw a ton of March Browns at about 12:45 and numerous BWO. Matt spotted a good-sized trout rising three times on the opposite bank(out of reach) of the river.

I hooked one...briefly...possible "pilot-error" on my part; a slow hook-set/line management issue on my part. It too was decent, guessing a minimum in the 18"-20" range".

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

We'll go out again...I like it there at about 500-600cfs. Next time get some Anchor Steams.

Frank R. Pisciotta said...

In your initial post you wrote;
"...on the third try Frank rapped the leader around his body".

I demand a re-write, it should be; "...on the third try da trout rapped the leader around Frank's body."

da Dean

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

It must have been the "Franky Experience" that Trout was just trip'n.

Frank R. Pisciotta said...

Yeah guess he (looked like a big buck)was trip'en...with some idiot trying to hit him with a net.

Do you mean the "Frankie Pisciotta Experience"? Shall I share an image with your readers?

Frankie da Fish

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

I think you should.

Chris Scott said...

Hey, I think Stefan caught your bow. Check out the Moldy Chum Slab entry. The Truckee sure is getting a lot of press these days.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

My fish would have pooped him out. I had another huge bow on yesterday in the Koles Hole, it would have pooped Stepahns fish out to. Stephen cuaght that fish like three years ago! I thought it was slab of the month.


Followers