Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Along the Banks.



I often tell people the biggest fish I see are usually the ones I've spooked. A lot of the big fish hold tight to the banks. Where do you fish when you go to Montana, your guide will float you down along the banks. That's where the dry dropper rig comes into play. You can toss that baby up along the banks and if you have a good float'n dry you can hang some heavy flies of the back. I did this today and did exceptionally well. These where the only two that got there photos taken the others are a story for some other time. We have a nice slow melt going on and the river is in great shape, high, but fishable.

6 comments:

Larry said...

Mat Nice fish! On the banks huh. What were they eating?

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Come on now...I saw your truck, how did you do? The double beaded baetis was the key #16

Larry said...

Curse of Larry again. I fished side that you walk down and that flat. Black slumper and beatis nymph. Hooked 2 but they didnt like to have their picture taken. Lens shy! Was that you fishing below me?

Idaho Fisherman 29 said...

Sound advice! I hooked into a big brown today on the bank with a mercers stonefly and guides choice hare's ear dropper. I fished it about two feet below the indicator. He worked me until my 4x tippet gave up... bummer. He did take to the air twice though which gave me a good look at him. I was stoked, it had been forever since I had a hook up of anything.

Ryan said...

Is this lower in the river on CA or NV side?

Crazy Uncle Larry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Followers