Monday, November 29, 2010

Fly Shops.



We just recently had an area fly shop saying they were closing down by the first of the year making me think what it takes to make it as a fly shop these days. The big box stores don't help the little guys, Cabelas, Scheels, Bass Pros. Not to mention when you walk in those types of places they usually don't know what the hell their talking about. I've heard some Walmarts have fly shops in them. The two things you need from a good fly shop is great customer service and local knowledge. When I walk into a fly shop I expect a hello, where are you from, and maybe some general advice. For example on my recent trip up to the Missouri River in Craig Montana there are three fly shops in a row. The first shop we went into I got a hello, and a go screw yourself type of attitude. We then walked down the street and ended up at the Headhunters Fly Shop. What we got there was a map of a good float, some tips on what streamers to use, and great customer service. By the way, all of which you can get in Mountain Hardware and Sports in Truckee. Since it is 22 degrees at my house this afternoon with anchor ice blocking my good holes, I'll leave you with some grip and grins from the mighty Mo.

6 comments:

Jay said...

Yeah that is a real bummer. Not because I have ever shopped there (never had a chance), but just because now the people in that area are stuck with Cabelas etc. Small fishing shops have been my favorite places to check out when I am out of town since I was a kid. I can only afford to buy the little stuff and local bugs. But regardless of whether I need the items or not, I always stop and spend a few bucks. We should all do the same if you value knowledge and customer service.

Mickey Cutler said...

It is a shame that a shop with great local knowledge is closing down. Hopefully someone will pick up where Dave left off.

Benny said...

This is just a reminder of how important it is to support your local fly shops. The personal attention and knowledge really goes a long way IMO.

Larry said...

This is all true but when you have a jerk for a manager and run your business and let him take charge---all goes out the door.

Chris Scott said...

Nothing worse than walking into a stuffy fly shop. I'm not sure if I buy off on the whole Big Box sports store taking over the world. The quality of most stuff from the big box stores is shit, like fly tying material. I always appreciate buying things from Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, MT primarily knowing that they belong to and started the whole 1% for the planet. Here in Bozeman there are like at least 7 shops, so I tend to spread the wealth and buy things from all the shops overtime.

Frank R. Pisciotta said...

Gonzo (Larry)----

That is what I like about you, you do not mince words. So true, so true.

da Dean


Followers