Friday, December 3, 2010

Slow and Low that is the Tempo.


Yeah, winter fishing, you either love it, or do it because you have cabin fever. To be honest, after all the winters I've spent on the water winter nymphing really doesn't do that much for me anymore. I stare at indicators all summer, so methodically staring at one in the winter just doesn't turn me on. Sometimes it's fun when big midge clusters are floating down the river and fish are munching on them, but that's about 6 weeks out from now. This time of year I do like to go out to test new lines, rods and flies. Swinging flies is an alternative to nymphing and usually is what I choose to do. I just got the new Sage TCX switch rod today and took it on a test drive, wow, what a cannon. I really think it will open up some previously untouched water. It casts a Skagit Short line a hundred feet easily. My bunny leech went to some far away places today. Remember those fish ain't gonna run down your streamer, a slow strip on the bottom is what it takes this time of year.

10 comments:

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

Sheeeeet... You're never gonna let that thing leave the Hircsh. Second week in January we're going up, you in or out Hermit boy?

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

I make it into town all the time. I have to be here the weekend of the 7th as some friends from Portland are coming down.

rm said...

come on gill, lets go ride!!

Kathi said...

Hey Gill, looking to come to Truckee for the weekend. As luck would have it, I'm staying right on the river about 5 miles from town ("the best stretch" so the ad says). I'd love to sneak some fishing in (though i've never fished during the winter before). What are my chances of actually getting into fish this time of year? What in the world do I use? I hate to nymph but I'm staying on water that will surely taunt me from the window so I'm willing to tie one on (a nymph, I mean) if I have to. Thanks for any tips and for the great website.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Hey Kathi, send me an email. I'll give you some pointers. Theirs nothing wrong with putting on a nymph.

gilligan@cebridge.net

Chris Scott said...

The Wizard of Hirschdale has a new magic staff!

Larry said...

The Piep Piper with the long rod!!!!!

Yea and I need some "POINTERS" too.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

You guys are real funny, real funny...

otis said...

TCX...Super fast.Iam interested in how it plays fish.
What kind of streamers?
Bunnies,what about crawfish and buggers?
What size and how you fishing them,
I juat trying to figger all this stuff out...
Strategies,I mean...my luck sux but I have been buzy wityh the books and videos..

Unknown said...

nice Beasties quote.


Followers