Monday, December 13, 2010

The Silver State.



I spent a little time down on the Nevada side of the Truckee River today. I really haven't been focusing on fishing lately, more on fly tying, locking myself to the fly tying table for hours on end. It's hard not to want to go fish though with the recent mild weather we've been experiencing. The river was pretty high last week with the rain, I didn't miss out on anything. This time of year the river always fishes better on the Nevada side. Water temps can be 5-10 degrees warmer than the river on the California side. Good nymphs are worms, small baetis patterns, zebra midges, and winter stones. I often fish big golden stones, and dead drift streamers in winter as well. Sometimes the fish like a big meal floating by. There is a winter storm warning out this week and it looks as if we are in for some nasty weather again, but that's what the fish need, lot's of snow.

8 comments:

Brian J. said...

nice-- I also found small wired prince nymphs kill it in winter for some reason...

cheers,

--Brian J.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

I remember you saying that you used those a lot, I'll give 'em a try. Well, you've been fishing up there in Portland? Good to hear from you, cheers!

Larry said...

Gill Man. Whats up ? Glad that you are in the lovely state of Nevada.
Will make a trip to fish with you soon.
Went to Yuba today,weather looked not great but went anyway. Knocked the shit out of them!Your little Black Bad Ass Baetis nymph did it.
One was over 20 and nothing under 16. Thanks buddy for hooking me up with that bug. Merry Xmas to you and your lovely other half. Larry

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Right on Larry! Great to hear from you, hope you have a great holiday as well. Glad that Beatis is working, it might be available to the public soon....

Larry said...

Matt I tweeked your little bug a bit. I added a split wing case look to it in a few different ways with out epoxy. I might take a ride up soon and hook up with you
( bring some brewskis ) and play with some bugs if you have time.

otis said...

Winter stones?
Can you show us what the pattern looks like?

Unknown said...

like the new graphics matt...will come up and check out NV with you if it ever stops raining/snowing...adam

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Thanks Adam...I'm computer challenged. Love to take you out on the NV side. It is snowing again and the river should drop soon....


Followers