Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Urban Fishing






I went and scouted out a few runs this morning pretty close to downtown Reno. When I go fish on my own I like to fish a lot of nooks and crannys, or water that gets past up by most folks. I'll just drive from spot to spot. It's pretty amazing the quality of a trout fishery so close to such an urban setting. I guess it's like a smaller version of the Bow River that flows through downtown Calgary with it's own great trout fishing. Got these guys today on a #16 Dubbed Out Prince Nymph. These Rainbows are the size of Steelhead, pretty crazy. The fish in the video had broke off a bait dunker at some time, an old rusted eagle claw hook was in his kipe. I took it out for him and let him on his way.

12 comments:

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

Shit son, thought you were gonna call me. I went mtb shredding today cause I thought you weren't gonna drive down. The fuck happened to our fishing? We haven't gone out together in way too long. Let's change this son!

Josh "Chappy" Chaplin said...

Nice dude!!! Very, nice... Way to represent Nevada. Winnemucca 4-Life yo!

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

I'll bring some flowers for you next time. Tulips or roses?

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

Schmidt's, yah hoser.

Josh "Chappy" Chaplin said...

You should head up to the Humboldt River and land some cat-fish and train hobo's. I heard the "Roadkill Flies" are on right now...

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

I think I'll head to Battle Mountain, I just really love it there.

Brian J. said...

Damn, I miss it.

and btw I lived in Winnemucca for 12 years of my life (yes, thats first grade to 12th grade).

so don't make fun of it.

no, that's a lie. feel free.

but I would say B.M. is a better option if you're looking for a scenic retreat with great night-clubs.

And I heard the "toothless hooker" is an even better pattern than the roadkill...

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

I think once you get past Sparks the toothless hooker is the only fly you need. I like to tie mine on a heavy wire scud hook.

Josh "Chappy" Chaplin said...

And you can look for all these great flies at the "Pussy Cat Saloon" in Winnemucca, NV.

RossSF said...

Nice blog Gilligan. Leland told me about it, have to hire you for the Truckee sometime.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Come on up...

Andy said...

I'll just generate from place to spot. It's quite incredible the level of quality of the trout fishery so near to this type of an urban setting.
How can we get the best Runescape Gold,through the internet or the players in the game? Can we Cheap Runescape Gold with cheap price or other ways else?


Followers