Wednesday, October 20, 2010

October Caddis.


This is my fly of the week and it has caught a lot of nice fish in late Fall over the years for me on the Truckee River. We really don't get a big October Caddis hatch, for example like the Upper Sac or McCloud, but fish really like munching on the Pupa in late Fall. I think a lot of the patterns you see at the fly shop are to bulky. I like a muskrat and rabbit blend and a thinner profile. This is also a good fly to use behind a streamer.

Hook: Tiemco 2499, or 2457 Sz#6
Body: Any buggy nymph type dubbing, orange or cream.
Shell: Wapsi Thin Skin, brown
Ribbing: UTC Wire, copper brown
Collar: Hen hackle, brown
Eyes: Black bead chain eyes

2 comments:

Frank R. Pisciotta said...

Mr. Sheriff---

I like it!

da Dean

Bigerrfish said...

I have always dreamed of that river and the fly in this post look so darn good I wish october would come back to relive that day when big light bugs got ate heavy..

www.bigerrfish.blogspot.com


Followers