Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fly of the Week.


I think I'll start the fly of the week and see how it goes. This is my Baetis Soft Hackle. This is my no #1 fly in the Fall on the Truckee River. I fish it deep on a nymph rig, or sometimes higher up off a tippet ring on a nymph rig. You can fish it off a back of a dry in the film, or swing it through a pod of rising fish. It just works...

Hook: Tiemco 2487 size #16
Thread: Uni 8/0 Gray (head)
Body: Uni 8/0 Iron Gray
Thorax: Wapsi Life Cycle Caddis Dubbing Gray
Colar: Whiting Farms Hen Hackle Medium Dun
Tail: Hen Hackle Fibers, Medium Dun
Ribbing: UTC Ultra Wire Size Small, Green, or Olive

5 comments:

Lazy Lopez said...

Yes, it does work. Quite well I must say. I've caught lots of fish using that fly. Both used as a nymph and a dry tied behind a bigger dry fly with some shake on it. I'm a little worried because I'm down to my last one!

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Ahh shit dude, I owe you some flies. I'm gonna get tying.

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

I thought it was the bacon and eggs.
And the captcha below me right now says "Shitcat". Awesome!

Borderfly said...

Sweet and simple I like it! How would this work on the E. Walker?

Larry said...

Mat this fly is awesome


Followers