Monday, September 27, 2010

Fly of the Week, Baetis Nymph.


This time of year this fly is usually on the end of my rig. Whether it be on a dry dropper rig, or a nymph rig, this fly works. A lot of the Baeits nymphs on the Truckee River are dark colored. I think the trigger for this fly is the black wing case made of Thin Skin, a product by Wapsi. I use Thin Skin on a lot of my flies it holds up and is shiny just like the real bugs. I usually fish a Sz#18 before the hatch and switch to a larger nymph, Sz#16 during the hatch. I've caught fish all over the West on this fly. Tie up some of these guys this Fall and give them a try.

Hook: Tiemco 2457 Size #16-18
Bead: Tungsten Gold 2.0 mm
Body: Uni 8/0 Black
Ribbing: UTC Ultra Wire, Size Small, Olive
Tail: Hen Hackle, Black
Thorox: Blue Ribbon Flies Zelon Dubbing, Longhorn Green
Wings: Hen Hackle, Black
Wing Case: Thin Skin, Black

3 comments:

Larry said...

Awesome bug! Thanks Mat

Jesse Reeves said...

I have a feeling you're right on the money with this fly. I fished the closest thing I had to it, which was a #16 black Copper John today, rigged below a stone fly nymph setup, and also a hopper-dropper setup. Caught fish on the bottom fly with both setups! Great looking little bug!

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

You best tie up some for me, cause when we go to MT I'm turning into Dirty Ernie. I'm not even going to remember my waders.


Followers