Sunday, April 18, 2010

Just Chill'n With Jay Fair



Yesterday I went down to do some tying at Keines Fly Shop in Sacramento. Since I got there early I sent up my tying station next to Jay Fair and his son Glen. It was an honor to meet Jay. Jay Fair is truly a legend of our sport. Not only was he one of the nicest men I've ever met his fishing stories he told me all day where priceless. To say I learned something about fly fishing is an understatement. He's eighty six now and has been guiding for thirty eight years. His California guide liscense no# is 318, mine is 10515. He'll be on Davis this year with his son since Eagle Lake is so low. That's Joe Shirshac in the bottom photo. He's fly fished the Truckee since the 50's and the stories he told, well....

4 comments:

Frank R. Pisciotta said...

Matt----My guide license # is 432.

Jay also started guiding later in life than I. I was 38 and from the info you've given on Jay, he started at 42.

Just think about it, you too will be a living legend waaaay in the future...

da Dean...one of the legs in a three-legged stool.

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

Dude that's awesome. I'm a bit jealous, as I love to listen to the old timers.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Frank you are an old timer. I don't think I'll ever be a legend...His Eagle Lake stories where awesome. I guess he even used to fish the Truckee.

reddog said...

I was there and just the easiest ever tip you gave to just use the thin skin has made things easier already thanks for yourtime and I'll be checking later to brain pick ya for help with the truckee


Followers