Monday, April 19, 2010

Big and Uglys



With the recent warm weather the last few days up here the Truckee is having huge spikes in flows. Fish like stable flows, but if you do come up and fish this Spring the bigger the fly sometimes is better. When the flows come up and get off colored I like to dead drift a big streamer. Something like a Black Slump buster is deadly, then hang a big Copper John or something off the back of it. Black has a great contrast in off colored water. I like to bump mine off the bottom and jig it a little. I got two big Browns today on the streamer. One Brown I had hooked a few days before and I came back this evening and landed his ass. What a battle that was. I had a third fish witch was bigger than all three chase my streamer all the way to where I was standing and almost bumped into me, awesome. I know where you are dude. The river should stabilise this week with the colder weather and the fishing will be good, but think about fishing the heavy arsenal this Spring.

5 comments:

g_rob said...

I hate you.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Just another day at the office. Life is grand.

g_rob said...

I hope it dumps 3 feet of snow on you. I still smell from my skunk.

Idaho Fisherman 29 said...

This works! I caught a nice rainbow with a black bunny leach and red copper john. She took the copper john. Do you use an indicator?

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Yup, usually use an indo.


Followers