Monday, April 4, 2011

You're Gonna Have To Get Used To It


Yeah, we got some water this year, and with these warm days, the Truckee's pumping. It does have some clarity though, and if you stay above the major creeks, Juniper, Grey's and Bronco, it's fishable. You're going to have to get used to these high flows, they will be here all spring and well into early summer. The trick is to fish places where you think fish can get out of the current. Your normal spots might not be fishable, explore some different water. The fish will get used to it, the high flows that is, and settle in. The good news is when you do hook fish they will be big. The fish are big and healthy this spring and they are getting bigger. High flows means a lot of food is getting pushed through the system. Work the edges and don't give up. Got this nice male brown today on the last cast off a dry dropper rig, right tight to the bank.

4 comments:

Jay said...

Dude, I check your blog on a near daily basis. You are an animal. I really enjoy getting my ass kicked on the Truckee, and you keep me inspired to keep trying.

B1GR said...

Well done, that thing is a toad! Your blog is very insightful, I've been reading it for long time now but only recently joined it on Blogger.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Right on dudes, thanks. I guess I've been on a lucky streak lately, usually those fish find a way of getting off, I've been lucky to land them.

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

Gil is a certified trout whisperer... Rob Redford doesn't hold a dime to his lip twisting skills.. Riffles and Sniffles.

Gonna be out in Sattley this weekend if you wanna do some dirt shredding with me and Rosie. Call me at the 'rents.


Followers