Friday, April 1, 2011

Dry Droppers


Untitled from Gilligans Guide Service on Vimeo.


I love fishing the dry dropper rigs. Actually, I'll fish two droppers off a big dry such as my skwalacator dry, which floats like a cork and has a big poly yarn post you can see. The big fish that I catch are usually all caught in five feet or less of water. Big fish like to hang in shallow water, riffles, banks, etc. That old story about Walter living at the bottom of some big hole just ain't true, big fish are always on the move. Of course big fish winter in holes, but that's another topic. I fish my dry dropper rigs upstream along banks and things, long hard casts with a 6 weight rod. You're able to cover water with a dry dropper rig that you would have otherwise thrashed around if you were using a conventional nymph rig. Learn how to cast far in the wind, big fish require stealth, like bow hunting. Don't go using a 9 foot 5x leader, cut a 7.5 4x leader down to about 6ft so you can throw some junk around in the wind. You have to be able to turn over a big dry and nymphs especially if they're heavy ones. I'll be down at the Leland Expo in Sonoma on the weekend of the 16th and 17th of April doing a presentation on dry dropper rigs and how to fish them. This brown, one of my neighbors, ate my sz #18 baetis nymph in about two feet of water today.

4 comments:

Chris Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris Scott said...

Dry with two droppers, is that called the Truckee River conga line? Sounds like a life cycle rig. How do you calm those fish for the camera, your like a snake charmer.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Well Chris, I learned that technique while on my travels in Tibet. The Dali Lama told me to calm my mind and fish will follow.

otis48 said...

Where do the Big Brown hang when they`re resting during the day?
It 2would have to be out of the current,safe from aerial assault,somewhere where they can meditate in peace....


Followers