Thursday, April 7, 2011

Old Man Winter

Untitled from Gilligans Guide Service on Vimeo.



We have another shot of winter coming through the Truckee area again. This sucks, and it always does this time of year. You know, when it goes from the 60's, back into the 30's. We ain't out of the woods yet, I've seen it snow well into June. Last year was a good example. Nothings changed on the Truckee, it's still charging, and for most folks the river below Glenshire is damn near unfishable. The Shire is a good bet if you do come up and fish the Truckee, there is always some fishable water even when it's this high. The Shire is really not my cup of tea though. I will fish it, but you usually can find me down river somewhere even in high water. It's a gamble below Boca this time of year and sometimes my schemes pan out and sometimes they don't. After a morning down a long game trail that didn't pan out, Charlie got this nice gal all colored up in some high water in what had to be my coldest guide day of the year. The bottom photo is of Matt the other day nymphing a nice slot along the shire.

3 comments:

Tucker said...

Hey Matt, do you know if the road to the Little Truckee is accessible to the campground?

Larry said...

Naw its going to be closed all summer and into next year. The fish need a rest.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

I hear you on that Larry, wish it was still closed in the winter, but since it's almost the traditional opener, yes, I think you could make it up to the campgroung -Tucker -in a 4X4,


Followers