Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sett'n Up.


Not only is getting a good drift essential, but learning when and how to strike on a fish or "setting up" is important as well. I watch people everyday not strike on a fish hard enough, or not strike at all. A good hook set is important. When your nymph rig is going in a likely spot, or through the bucket be ready. I almost know when I'm going to get a strike it's instinctive for me. I try to tell people to be ready, have your finger on the trigger (your line under your finger) and be ready for that hit. You would also stick more fish if you set downstream with the current and not upstream ripping the hook right out of the trout's mouth. There has been a lot of fish missed the last few days on poor hook sett's, some big and some small, and some we will never know for sure. The water is a nice 63 degrees even at noon. The fishing is good.

6 comments:

Frank R. Pisciotta said...

Matt---I'm reading between the lines.....I'm guessing you've had a couple of tough guide dates.

We can only explain/suggest the what & how. Beyond that it is out of our control. Some days you're a super-star, others a frustated guide observer. Hang in there, things even-out.

Uncle Frank

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

Yup, some days you're a rock star and some you ain't. We have lost some big fish in the last few days and mostly because of pilot error. I have fished with some really nice people the last week, and you just really want them to land that fish.

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

Stuttering "SET" has started to come out of my mouth every time I see something twitch, cat's tails, crazy eyes, bobbers.

LoJazar said...

I was one of those "nice people" who didn't land the fish. Gill did a great job but dangit, it wasn't in the cards for me that day.

I didn't set one because I was untagling some stripped in line wrapped around my rod butt.

I lost another because I let the damn fish go into the current. This one hurt.

Then I had one breakoff.

Hey, they call it fishing, not catching. I've had great days this summer, it's all in the process.

LoJazar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

The ole line wrapped around the rod butt. That has lost some big fish this year, Chris B. you know who you are. Good to hear from you Joe!


Followers