Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Emergers


I can't emphasise the importance of fishing emergers. Today there were Baetis coming off everywhere, blanket hatch so to speak, but not a single head showing. Just because I didn't see fish rising doesn't mean fish weren't chowing on those tasty morsels. I began the day nymphing with a Skwalla Stone and Sz#18 Baetis Nymph. As the hatch began I switched out to a dry dropper rig, a Sz#16 Baetis Nymph with a Sz#16 Baetis Soft Hackle dropper. I always switch to a larger nymph and shallower rig during the hatch as fish move into the riffles to ambush their prey. That little soft hackle has taken more fish for me on the Truckee than any other fly in the last two years. Today it took five, and last year that fly took, a 25", and a 26" Brown.

4 comments:

g_rob said...

I have spring break in two weeks and I'm coming up to fish at least once and I want to catch this very fish on a dry. I will pay you in Colt 45 (the beer, not the gun).

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

It would be good just to see you. How about some Anchor Steams? Let's go put the boat in and stick a bunch of fish.

g_rob said...

We'll meet half way: Pabst.

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

You guys got those things yet?


Followers