Thursday, September 10, 2009

Switch Rods


I am a big proponent of the use of Switch Rods on the Truckee. It is a perfect rod to nymph with, streamer fish, and currently for using dry dropper rigs with. The Truckee has often difficult to reach holding water such as middle river seams, or places where making a back cast just ain't gonna happen. I use a Skagit short line by Rio for streamer fishing, and put my desired tip on the end. For nymphing you need to up line two line sizes. On my 5wt I use a 7wt Rio Atlantic Salmon Steelhead line. You can toss your nymph rig a country mile with minimal effort. I rock Sage Z-Axis Switch rods, 5, and 6wts. For folks with limited cash, Reddington's Switch's are great rods. I stuck five fish in that seam today in the photo. It would have been hard to fish that pocket with a single handed rod. I just wrote an article for Sierra Fisherman http://www.sierrafisherman.com/ and that will give you a lot more info if your interested.

2 comments:

Brian J. said...

Oh I'm interested! but alas my wallet is not-- I'm all about versatile rods and flinging heavy nymph rigs-- someday...

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

we're drifting next week.
Talked to mikey he's down. Let's get streamerfaced.


Followers