Friday, February 4, 2011

It's A Midge Game


That title is an inside joke, but February on the Truckee River is midge time. When you see a blanket hatch of midges and no fish on the surface you can bet for certain they're eating the pupa below. Nothing beats a zebra midge, period. I like my flex-floss zebra midge in black. I fish mine a little bigger than some in size #16-18. They have to be able to see your fly amongst the hundreds of real pupa floating by. When the midges get all balled up and clustered that's when the fun begins. That might happen by next week if we're lucky. I got this pretty male just a short walk from my house today. In another month he'll be all colored up and like most males he will have one thing on his mind.

3 comments:

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

Best title ever. Lass is infamous now.

Bigerrfish said...

A midge game? I wanna play... Here in Co its a midge game alright! Interesting that the Truckee will let you get away with a 16 zebra.. flex floss.. hmm great idea!

Frank R. Pisciotta said...

Matt----Guess you have never read my article on the LT, even though I didn't mention the BT.

"...How do you spell M-I-D-G-E...365 days per year...in all stages..."

Just back from Chilean Patagonia and I'm here to stay for awhile. I'll post a report/images on my blog.

In the interim, you are the man for a BT fishing report as it pertains to the "Grand Canyon of the Truckee" (you ARE the Sheriff of the Canyon)& into the arrid sagebrush lands of Nevada...until I hit the water above your turf in the mildler & civil flows of the BT above Boca inflow.

Uncle Frank


Followers