Saturday, October 10, 2009

Some days are better than others.


Being a guide, some days are better than others. This week was one of those. The Truckee River has to be one of the toughest rivers in the West to consistently catch fish, but somehow I chose to make a living on it. This river makes you tie better flies, try different rigs and keep exploring new water. Yesterday I took out the ZXL, my favorite rod, a couple dries and some droppers. I was suppose to fish with Larry, but just wanted to be by myself. I did well and got stoked again.

3 comments:

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

Well I understand those days man.
Giggles killed it today, but he kept dropping his f'n fish before I could snap em. Had fun experimenting with new streamers and kinds of deer hair heads.

There's always tomorrow if you're down..

Unknown said...

How long in the season do you fish the hopper dropper setup? What is an average day for you anyway? 5,6, ?
I am from Montana, but have been here for 7 years and am slowly learning the CA side. This river has made me a better fisherman though, because back home, I get into way more fish now.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

You can fish a hopper dropper setup all year if you find the right water type. I can usually go out and stick 5-6 fish if I try. Most of the time I'm goofing off with streamers or something and not fishing to seriously.


Followers