Thursday, August 27, 2009



I'm going to start talking a little more about techniques for the Truckee. I watch people off the back of my deck all summer long doing the wrong stuff. They are either casting line Lefty Kreh style half way across the damn river, or just fishing in frog water, water that's way to slow to hold summer time fish(like right now.) The Truckee is hard to fish. It ain't the Madison where your guide is going to slow the boat down for you to get a good drift and you catch 30 fish a day. This is a blue collar river. If this river was a rock band it would be from New Jersey. You have to pay your dues, learn the river. It might take a few years. Lately, I've been fishing big dries with a dropper off my Switch. I use a Skagit short line by Rio with a floating versi-leader cut back to 12 feet. You can throw that baby a country mile to the opposite bank. Most fish are along the banks. It's just damn hard setting the hook with all that line out. Don't be afraid to experiment.....

4 comments:

Crazy Uncle Larry said...

Patrick Speyze and Bob Skagit need to drift this bitch when it cools down a bit.

Unknown said...

I think this entry was inspired by watching me fish, unfortunately. I was looking for some frogs for dinner.

Unknown said...

Hey. what does this mean:

"dropper off my Switch."

I know what a dropper is of course, but not a Switch.

Matt "Gilligan" Koles said...

A Switch rod is basicly a shorter version of a Spey rod.


Followers